One of the biggest reasons I hear of why parents don’t want to take their children to the library is not that they don’t enjoy the library.
It is remembering to take back the library books.
Parents are busy. We have a lot going on, and while it may seem like a hassle to take back your library books, I have some great tips for you on how you and your kids can enjoy going to the library again and not worry about late fees!
- Have a special basket or place in your home where you store your books from the library. This will definitely help them not to get lost or mixed up in your bookshelf.
- Have a regular day that you always go to the library. If you make going to the library part of your routine, you will be much more likely to remember to take back your books and not to accumulate any late fees.
- Ask for a receipt. When you sign out your library books, either from the librarian or from the self check-out computer, you can get a receipt that shows you exactly which books you have signed out and what day they are due back.
- Sign up for email reminders. If you don’t automatically have library emails set up from signing up for a library card, you can ask the librarian to sign you up for email reminders. Libraries usually send out reminder emails a few days before your library books are due back.
- Set up an alarm on your smartphone. The day you go to the library, set up a reminder alert on your phone for the day your books will be due back or even for the day before. Or set up two alarms if you are really forgetful. 🙂
- Write it on your calendar. Please tell me I am not the only one who still needs a paper calendar hanging on the wall! I love my phone, but my phone calendar doesn’t compare. Sorry iPhone.
- Use a children’s library card. Pssst…..let me tell you a little secret…there are usually no late fees on your children’s library cards for at least a week. If you tend to be a little late sometimes, sign up your kids for a library card and take advantage of that!Have you discovered a great trick that has helped you return your library books on time?