It’s summer time! School is out, the sun is shining, and if you’re like me, you’re probably trying to come up with fun things to do with your kids that won’t break the bank.
Well, you’re in luck, because you can take your kids to one (air conditioned!) building with lots of free, fun things to do – your local library!
Here are 25 library activities you should try this summer!
– join a summer reading club – for adults and kids!
– see a puppet show
– go to a story time
– colour a picture
– sign out a movie
– look at magazines
– sign up for a class to learn something new
– do a puzzle
– join a club: our library has all sorts of fun clubs – Lego clubs, maker clubs, knitting, etc.
– jam with musicians
– enter a library contest
– surf the internet on the library computers
– sign out a special item: depending on your library, you may be able to sign out video games, musical instruments, or even robotics.
– enlist for tutoring – could your child use some academic help this summer before school starts up again? Many libraries offer free tutoring programs for kids
– play a game
– look up a favorite book on the library catalogue to put a hold on – or as we call it in our house, “asking the book truck to bring us a special delivery”
– pick out a music CD to sign out
– go to a book sale
– check out a kid’s program: often in the summer, libraries have special shows for kids – musicians, magicians, animal experts
– play games on a kid’s computer
– catch up on Facebook using free library wifi while your kids are playing on the computer
– teach your kids how the library is organized – alphabetical order in the picture books and maybe even the Dewey decimal system for older kids!
– have a library play date with friends
– check out the community bulletin boards for other fun activities to do around your town
– read books!
How many of these fun library activities have you tried with your kids? Do you have other fun things you and your kids like to do at the library? Leave me a comment below!